A brief history of our church and the building:

  • The following is a testament to the faithfulness and glory of God. Much of the work was done through donations and volunteered time; this resulted in much being accomplished with little or no long-term debt.
  • 1821 - First Baptist Church of Damascus was founded.
  • 1846 - A block schoolhouse was built in the area. This is where Sunday School was held. By this block house ran a corduroy road (made of logs laid side-by-side).
  • 1851 - Second Baptist of Damascus is established and would become the Baptist part of the congregation.
  • 1853 - John McArthur (architect of Philadelphia City Hall, some Lafayette College buildings, and many churches) designs plans for present day building.
  • 1854 - Present day building is built. It is known as the Beech Union Church. The buidling is shared by Presbyterians, Baptist, and Methodists ministers; same congregation. Singing is done all a capella. In addition to regular preaching many of the pastors conducted revival services as did some evangelists from other areas. The reason for building the church building was two fold: 1.) distance that the congregation had to travel 2.) robberies that took place while a long distance away from home.

    Other notable things about America during this year: Theodore Roosevelt was 4 and Abraham Lincoln was 45. The gold rush in California began 6 years ago and the Civil War would start in 7 years. Franklin Pierce was President. 10 years ago the first telegraph message was sent.
  • 1855 - Church is dedicated and announced in "Wayne County Herald". It was mentioned that the church was in Eldred. The church was later known as the Eldred Union Church.
  • 1864 - Typewriter invented. Church notes until now all hand written.
  • 1874 - First organ is used. Eldred area renamed Boyds Mills.
  • 1889 - A lumber wagon with two heavy hemlock logs is used to carry the big stone now at the entrance. The stone was too wide for the road requiring the wheels to be slid around some corners in the road.
  • 1898 - Metal ceiling and side walls installed. New seats and pews added (painted white).
  • 1958 - To add more Sunday School room a basement was added. Solid rock underneath the church had to be blasted and cleared. It was brought out wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow.
  • 1909-1910 - Church bell and stained glass windows are added.
  • 1912 - A three minister combined revival is held. 60 people accept Christ.
  • 1919-1920 - Severe winter hits. No services are held at the church due to lack of heating.
  • 1949 - Building is painted white and redecorated.
  • 1956 - Church incorporated. Calkins Union Baptist Church
  • 1961 - Wooden cross and 4 pewter chandeliers were added. This remodeling was helped by the long time members and founders of Highlights for Children.
  • 1977 - Congregation votes to become Independent Baptist.
  • 1986 - A small annex, kitchen, and well are added. The first indoor bathroom is added.
  • 1992 - The present Annex area is built.
  • 1995 - Pew cushions were added.
  • 1998 - Present parsonage and 21 acres are added.
  • 2003 - Calkins Church along with many other Fundamental churches participate in a revival campaign at Wayne County Fairgrounds.
  • 2015-2016 - Family Center is built.